| Monday, June 24, 2019
From Abigail Howard, USA Swimming Associate Counsel & Director of Safe Sport
June 23 is just two days away! We very much appreciate all your efforts in implementing both MAAPP and the adult athlete APT requirement. USA Swimming is committed to being a leader in athlete abuse prevention among youth-serving organizations. You are our partners in this effort and we cannot do it with you.
As a reminder:
What is Required by June 23, 2019?
• Adopt MAAPP in full as a club policy;
• MAAPP guidelines must be followed starting June 23; and
• Adult athlete APT requirement goes into effect.
• NOTE: The General Acknowledgement section of MAAPP does not have to be completed by June 23, 2019. Member clubs must adopt MAAPP by June 23 and adhere to its guidelines going forward. At some point in 2019 (and then going forward on an annual basis), MAAPP must be reviewed and agreed to in writing by all athletes, parents, coaches and non-athlete members of the club.* A club will be able to view whether or not an athlete member has completed the training by viewing the roster in the Club Portal. Clubs will also be able to run a Membership Status report and a custom member report as well.
Olympic Trials Tickets Go on Sale!
On Monday, July 1, 2019, tickets go on sale for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Swimming – the eight-day competition serves as the sole qualifier for pool swimmers for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
Don’t miss your opportunity to watch the top American swimmers compete for their chance at a spot on Team USA.
The action takes place at the CHI Health Center in Omaha, Neb., June 21-28, 2020.
Ticket prices are $1,300 (Victory Row), $575 (Gold), $475 (Silver) and $375 (Bronze) for the 15 sessions, which include seven morning preliminary sessions and eight evening finals.To purchase tickets visit:
Women’s Leadership Summit
Join us for our second Women’s Leadership Summit of the year in Clearwater Beach, FL!
Reenergize yourself and connect with other female coaches during this 1.5 day summit at in Clearwater Beach, August 24th- 25th. Register today to secure your spot! Questions? Check out our FAQ
Where: Residence Inn Clearwater Beach
When: August 24-25
Cost: $175 per person and includes:
- Summit Fee
- Social on Saturday night
- Breakfast on Sunday
- Lunch on Sunday
Scholastic All-American Application
- Grade completion requirement – applicant must have completed 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade
- GPA Requirement – minimum 3.5 GPA for the current academic year
- A=4, B=3, C=2. If numerical grades are used, the following scale will be used unless the school’s letter grade conversion is given on the transcript: A=90-100; B=80-89; C=70-79
- Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and dual credit college level academic courses will earn one half (.5) extra Grade Point. Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, computer sciences, visual and performing arts if indicated as an academic subject. A grade lower than a C in an academic subject will mean automatic rejection of the applicant. Grades for non-academic courses will NOT be calculated - art, band, choir, orchestra, home economics, health, driver education, physical education, shop, and any other class marked non-academic on a transcript.
- There will be no special status designation for a 4.0 GPA other than for a national champion who also has a 4.0 GPA.
- Pool Requirements
- Applicants must have swum an individual pool time equal to a 2018 Winter Junior qualifying time in any individual event during the SAA qualifying period (August 16, 2018 – August 15, 2019) with qualifying times in SWIMS – list of times are posted on the USA Swimming website. A qualifying time will be available for selection from the SWIMS database during the application process. Only ONE time is necessary and only ONE application is necessary.
- Disability or Open Water Requirements (for athletes without pool requirements)
2018 U.S. Para National Championships – December 14-16, 2018, Tucson, AZ
2019 World Para Series – April 4-6, 2019, Indianapolis, IN
2019 Can Am Para Swimming Championships – July 12-14, 2019, Vancouver, BC
2019 World Para Championships - July 29 - August 4, 2019, Kuching, Malaysia2019 Open Water National Championships - May 3-5, 2019, Miami, FL
United States Anti- Doping Agency (USADA)The information below should be shared with your athletes and their parents. Please distribute it via email, a club newsletter, or link to the articles on your team webpage.
While cannabidiol (CBD) is permitted in sport, some CBD products might actually contain prohibited cannabinoid components like THC. Here are 5 things you should know about CBD:
Growth hormone is an anabolic agent prohibited at all times under the WADA Prohibited List. Check out our FAQ on the substance and the health risks associated with it.
Supplements:Supplements that list ingredients ending in -ol, – diol, or –stene should automatically be considered a red flag. Read why and learn to recognize other supplement red flags.
Volunteering Is the Best Kept Secret for Mental Health
By Kaleigh Rogers, www.vice.com, December 5, 2017
There are horse barns in New York City. A lot of people don't realize this, but I'm lucky enough to have uncovered this secret through volunteering at a therapeutic riding program for children with disabilities. A couple of Sundays a month, I get up early, drink my coffee on the train to Forest Hills, and spend a few hours helping kids with their riding lessons.I'm not saying all of this to get some kind of good Samaritan points. In fact, volunteering is one of the most self-serving things I do, because whenever I help out at the horse barn, my stress and anxiety levels noticeably drop. I feel calmer, more relaxed, and my mind is clear, often for the first time in weeks. It has quickly become one of the most reliable ways for me to de-stress—I've found it more effective than meditation, medication, or exercise
Dreaming of Owning Your Own POOL?
Don’t know where to start?
Two for One Deal = Attend the USA Swimming Convention and then stay for the Regional Build a Pool Conference
Let us help you get started down the right road, so you won’t get the cart before the horse.
Click here to learn more and to register for the USA Swimming’s Regional Build a Pool Conference.
September 15th & 16th, 2019 at the Renaissance St. Louis Airport HotelQuestions: email Sue Nelson
The American Swimming Coaches Association 51st Annual World Clinic
Dallas, Texas, Sept. 3-8, 2019
Education, Information, and INSPIRATION for Coaches of all levels of athlete!
The Greatest Coaches Clinic in the World, for the 51st time! The “business meeting” revised as the “Coaches Forum!” for the important
Issues in American Swimming. The Annual Awards Dinner and special this year, The Head Olympic Coaches Dinner Reunion, (open to all)
From Learn to Swim to the Elite athlete, this is where coach education and inspiration takes place.
Huge Exhibit Hall “Christmas Morning for Swimming Coaches.”
Registration, Program information, additional schools offered, and Hotel Registration information is HERE:We look forward to seeing you there! All the Best, John Leonard, ASCA
9 Effective Teaching Methods for Coaches
By Chris Wellman,coachad.com, January 2018
Productive coaches spend 75 percent of their time teaching the sport to their players, and the other 25 percent of the time coaching. With younger athletes, this gap increases with teaching becoming more important.The problem is that many coaches don’t understand how to teach athletics effectively. Plus, some coaches don’t take the time to grasp how athletes learn. Here are nine proven steps to becoming a better teacher and a better coach.
How to Write a Good Vision Statement
By Tom Wright, executestrategy.net, June 5, 2019A vision statement is the anchor point of any strategic plan. It outlines what an organization would like to ultimately achieve and gives purpose to the existence of the organization. A good vision statement should be short, simple, specific to your business, leave nothing open to interpretation. It should also have some ambition