| Monday, June 17, 2019
We very much value your communications with our staff as we work through the MAAPP implementation process. You are our partners in this effort to be leaders among youth-serving organizations.
Based on feedback received from our coach members who serve in dual roles (including, for example, as high school and collegiate coaches), we sought additional clarification from the U.S. Center for SafeSport on whether MAAPP applies when Applicable Adults interact with minor athletes outside of USA Swimming activities. The Center subsequently determined that MAAPP does not apply to Applicable Adults and their interactions with minor athletes unrelated to USA Swimming activities. For example, MAAPP does not apply to a USA Swimming coach communicating electronically with a minor athlete for the purposes of collegiate recruitment.
While we encourage our members to take the necessary steps to protect minor athletes from abuse in sport regardless of the organizational affiliation, the expectations set forth in MAAPP will only be enforced and audited with respect to USA Swimming activities.MAAPP Website Update: FAQs have been updated to include additional Q and A’s
Regional Coach Clinics
The Regional Coach Clinic program brings affordable clinics directly to teams in their own LSCs. These clinics are designed for the entire coaching staff from the novice coach to the senior level coach.
The clinic cost is $75 per coach or $200 for a coaching staff of 3 or more. Our clinics are priced to encourage participation by the entire coaching staff.
Location Dates Clinic Location
Anchorage, AK August 16-18 TBD
New Orleans, LA September 20-22 TBD
Des Moines, IA September 20-22 TBD
Albany, NY September 27-29 TBD
Sioux Falls, SD** TBD TBD
Clinics are open to all swimming coaches regardless of their USA Swimming membership. We encourage all coaches, both USA Swimming members and non-members, to attend.If you have any other questions, please contact Sydney.
Scholastic All-American Application
- Grade completion requirement – applicant must have completed 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade
- GPA Requirement – minimum 3.5 GPA for the current academic year
- A=4, B=3, C=2. If numerical grades are used, the following scale will be used unless the school’s letter grade conversion is given on the transcript: A=90-100; B=80-89; C=70-79
- Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and dual credit college level academic courses will earn one half (.5) extra Grade Point. Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, computer sciences, visual and performing arts if indicated as an academic subject. A grade lower than a C in an academic subject will mean automatic rejection of the applicant. Grades for non-academic courses will NOT be calculated - art, band, choir, orchestra, home economics, health, driver education, physical education, shop, and any other class marked non-academic on a transcript.
- There will be no special status designation for a 4.0 GPA other than for a national champion who also has a 4.0 GPA.
- Pool Requirements
- Applicants must have swum an individual pool time equal to a 2018 Winter Junior qualifying time in any individual event during the SAA qualifying period (August 16, 2018 – August 15, 2019) with qualifying times in SWIMS – list of times are posted on the USA Swimming website. A qualifying time will be available for selection from the SWIMS database during the application process. Only ONE time is necessary and only ONE application is necessary.
- Disability or Open Water Requirements (for athletes without pool requirements)
2018 U.S. Para National Championships – December 14-16, 2018, Tucson, AZ
2019 World Para Series – April 4-6, 2019, Indianapolis, IN
2019 Can Am Para Swimming Championships – July 12-14, 2019, Vancouver, BC
2019 World Para Championships - July 29 - August 4, 2019, Kuching, Malaysia2019 Open Water National Championships - May 3-5, 2019, Miami, FL
Learn more and apply
United States Anti- Doping Agency (USADA)The information below should be shared with your athletes and their parents. Please distribute it via email, a club newsletter, or link to the articles on your team webpage.
MYTH: "There's nothing banned on the supplement label, so it's safe." Fact: Supplement labels can be very unreliable. Learn more at Supplement411
Do you keep seeing advertisements for wellness and anti-aging clinics? If you're considering a treatment, know that some may be prohibited under antidoping rules. Read more at the More You Know:
Need a quick summary of the #doping control process, athlete rights and responsibilities, and other info that can help non-national level athletes comply with antidoping rules? Our Pocket Guide is the perfect resource!A video on decoding the Dietary Supplement Industry
Dreaming of Owning Your Own POOL?
Don’t know where to start?
Two for One Deal = Attend the USA Swimming Convention and then stay for the Regional Build a Pool Conference
Let us help you get started down the right road, so you won’t get the cart before the horse.
Click here to learn more and to register for the USA Swimming’s Regional Build a Pool Conference.
September 15th & 16th, 2019 at the Renaissance St. Louis Airport HotelQuestions: email Sue Nelson
The American Swimming Coaches Association 51st Annual World Clinic
Dallas, Texas, Sept. 3-8, 2019
Education, Information, and INSPIRATION for Coaches of all levels of athlete!
The Greatest Coaches Clinic in the World, for the 51st time! The “business meeting” revised as the “Coaches Forum!” for the important
Issues in American Swimming. The Annual Awards Dinner and special this year, The Head Olympic Coaches Dinner Reunion, (open to all)
From Learn to Swim to the Elite athlete, this is where coach education and inspiration takes place.
Huge Exhibit Hall “Christmas Morning for Swimming Coaches.”Registration, Program information, additional schools offered, and Hotel Registration information is HERE:
Athletes Remember Life Lessons And Experiences More Than They Do WinningBy R.C. Buford is a PCA National Advisory Board Member
Athletes don't tend to remember whether they won or lost a particular game, but instead, they remember the friendships, the positive role models, and the life lessons that they learned through their experiences.Watch the 1:00 video:
The Most Motivational Half-Time Speech You Can Give, And You Will Never See it in a Sports Film
By J. P. Nerbun, Thriveonachallenge.com, June 2019
It’s halftime! But my team is losing. Maybe it’s because we didn’t execute the game plan properly. Maybe we lacked the hustle and effort. Or maybe the players didn’t believe they were good enough to win this game.Either way, my first instinct is to get in that locker room and coach them up. Do my job. I am the coach, right?
YOU Can Help Select the 2019 ASCA Age Group Coach of the Year!
It's time for you to VOTE!
There are 50 nominees from all over the United States for the 2019 ASCA Age Group Swim Coach of the Year Award (The American Swimming Coaches Association).
See if any coaches in your area or on your team are nominated... AND VOTE!*Voting ends on July 29, 2019*