By USA Swimming | Monday, June 3, 2019
JUMP IN, THE WATER'S GREAT!
Swimming is an inclusive sport for all, with swimmers, coaches and volunteers representing every age group, ethnicity and background. It's a sport for life, and we can help guide you to learn to swim, find a team, prepare for college or make the next U.S. Olympic Team.
There are countless benefits of swimming, including getting fit, getting fast, meeting friends and having fun. There’s even evidence it makes you smarter, as swim team kids perform better in school.
BENEFITS OF SWIMMING
A few years back, studies showed that while participation in youth sports by children ages 6-12 had dropped 4.5 percent since 2008, swimming membership in year-round teams increased 37 percent in the same time period.
Why did swimming experience growth at such an immense rate?
Here’s what the research showed:
- It’s closer than you think – 62 percent of families live within 10 minutes of a pool; 52 percent of households with combined income of $50,000 or less report they have access to a pool nearby.
- Everyone participates – Swimming is inclusive. There are no benchwarmers (nor benches).
- Swimming is a team sport – Only 16 percent of non-swimming parents view swimming as a team sport, but parents of swimmers associate the sport with teamwork more than any other sport.
- Suit up and go – Only a swimsuit, cap and goggles are necessary to get started.
- Life skills – Swimming increases self-confidence, self-esteem, time management, goal-setting and social development.
- Easy to learn – 76 percent of parents said the ease of learning to swim was high.
- Low risk of injury – No contact makes for a safer environment.
- Swimming = total body fitness – Burn 650 calories in an hour – more than walking, biking or team sports.
- Sport for life – Once you learn to swim, you can enjoy it no matter your age.
- Swimming is FUN.
As a member you'll enjoy exclusive access to USA Swimming partner offers through Deck Pass perks.
Additional benefits include:
- The opportunity to participate on a team in your area
- The chance to swim in sanctioned events
- A yearly subscription to Splash magazine for year-round members – both online and sent to your home
- Access to our extensive database of times for you and your friends
- Access to volumes of education content, tips and tutorials
- Access to motivational programs such as Scholastic All-America, age group Top 10, Club Excellence and more!