By USA Swimming | Saturday, September 29, 2018
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Fifteen annual awards honoring the best of American swimming in 2018 were presented at the USA Swimming House of Delegates meeting on Friday at the United States Aquatic Sports Convention.
Among the highlighted honors was the Phillips 66 Performance of the Year Award presented to Kathleen Baker (Winston-Salem, N.C./Team Elite/California Aquatics) for her world-record performance of 58.00 seconds in the 100-meter backstroke at the 2018 Phillips 66 National Championships.
Three major awards were presented in open water swimming with Pan Pacific Championships gold medalists Haley Anderson (Granite Bay, Calif./Trojan Swim Club) and Jordan Wilimovsky (Malibu, Calif./Team Santa Monica) claiming Female Open Water Swimmer of the Year and Fran Crippen Memorial Male Open Water Swimmer of the Year honors, respectively. The entire U.S. team from the FINA World Junior Open Water Championships was presented the Open Water Achievement Award for topping the team standings at the event.
The Trisha L. Zorn Award went to Rebecca Meyers (Baltimore, Md./North Baltimore Aquatic Club), who won five gold medals at the Pan Pacific Para Swimming Championships.
On the coaching front John Morse and Doug Wharam of Nashville Aquatic Club were co-recipients of the Developmental Coach of the Year Award.
The full list of awards presented Friday included:
- Make a Splash Hero Award: Rowdy Gaines
- Safe Sport Impact Award: CeCi Christy
- Open Water Achievement Award: World Junior Open Water Championships Team
- Female Open Water Swimmer of the Year Award: Haley Anderson (Trojan Swim Club)
- Fran Crippen Memorial Male Open Water Swimmer of the Year Award: Jordan Wilimovsky (Team Santa Monica)
- Adolph Kiefer Safety Commendation Award: Mary Jo Swalley
- Disabled Swimming Service Award: Linda Conger
- James (Jimi) Raymond Flowers Coach of the Year Award: Andrew Barranco
- Trisha L. Zorn Award (Athlete of the Year): Rebecca Meyers (North Baltimore Aquatic Club)
- Diversity & Inclusion Award: Rob Green (PVS D&I Chair, DC Parks and Recreation)
- Kenneth J. Pettigrew Award: Jay Thomas
- Developmental Coach of the Year Award: John Morse and Doug Wharam (Nashville Aquatic Club)
- Athletes’ Appreciation Award: Elaine Cox
- Athlete Distinguished Service Award: Van Donkersgoed
- Phillips 66 Performance of the Year Award: Kathleen Baker (Team Elite/California Aquatics)