By USA Swimming | Thursday, August 23, 2018
SUVA, Fiji – The United States opened the 2018 Junior Pan Pacific Championships in strong fashion on Thursday by earning 15 medals – including gold in seven of nine events contested – at the Damodar Aquatic Centre.
Carmel Swim Club’s Drew Kibler set a meet record in the men’s 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:47.65 to headline the day one gold medalists.
Also earning gold on Thursday were Claire Tuggle (Clovis Swim Club) in the women’s 200m free, Phoebe Bacon (Nation’s Capital Swim Club) in the women’s 100m backstroke, Destin Lasco (Pleasantville Aquatics) in the men’s 100m back, Olivia Carter (Enfinity Aquatic Club) in the women’s 200m butterfly, Gianluca Urlando (DART Swimming) in the men’s 200m fly and the 400m mixed medley relay team.
Thursday’s Team USA medalists at the 2018 Junior Pan Pacific Championships included:
- Gold, Women’s 200m Free: Claire Tuggle, 1:58.58
- Gold, Men’s 200m Free: Drew Kibler, 1:47.65 (meet record)
- Silver, Men’s 200m Free: Jake Magehey, 1:48.67
- Gold, Women’s 100m Back: Phoebe Bacon, 59.72
- Silver, Women’s 100m Back: Katharine Berkhoff, 1:00.16
- Gold, Men’s 100m Back: Destin Lasco, 55.75
- Silver, Men’s 100m Back: Adam Chaney, 56.18
- Gold, Women’s 200m Fly: Olivia Carter, 2:09.45
- Gold, Men’s 200m Fly: Gianluca Urlando, 1:56.25
- Silver, Men’s 200m Fly: Van Mathias, 1:57.64
- Silver, Women’s 800m Free: Mariah Denigan, 8:30.01
- Bronze, Women’s 800m Free: Emma Weyant, 8:38.88
- Silver, Men’s 1500m Free: Arik Katz, 15:30.00
- Bronze, Men’s 1500m Free: Ross Dant, 15:30.78
- Gold, Mixed 400m Medley Relay: Phoebe Bacon, Daniel Roy, Gianluca Urlando, Gretchen Walsh, 3:47.01
The four-day meet consists of daily prelims and finals at 9 a.m. FJT/5 p.m. EDT (previous day) and 5 p.m. FJT/1 a.m. EDT. Fiji Time (FJT) is 16 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). A webcast of the action is available online via www.fijione.tv/live-tv.