By USA Swimming Communications | Saturday, July 1, 2017
Here are some highlights from Saturday morning's prelims.
Women’s 200m Individual Medley
- 2016 Olympian Melanie Margalis (Clearwater, Fla./St. Petersburg Aquatics) was the top qualifier in prelims with a time of 2:10.53.
- Madisyn Cox (Lubbock, Texas/Texas Aquatics) followed, just a tenth behind Margalis for the second seed.
Men’s 200m Individual Medley
- Josh Prenot (Santa Maria, Calif./California Aquatics) posted the fastest time of morning with a personal record of 1:57.63.
- Chase Kalisz (Bel Air, Md./North Baltimore Aquatic Club) will be the second seed this evening with a 1:58.17 prelims time. Kalisz won the 400m IM title earlier this week.
- Both were 2016 Olympic silver medalists, Prenot in the 200m breast and Kalisz in the 400m IM.
Women’s 50m Freestyle
- Simone Manuel (Sugar Land, Texas/Stanford Swimming) turned in a 24.63 for the top spot in lane four tonight. Manuel was the 2016 Olympic silver medalist in this event.
- Mallory Comerford (Kalamazoo, Mich./University of Louisville) had the second-fastest time of the morning; her 24.88 was a personal record. Comerford won the 100m free title earlier this week.
- 2016 Olympians Abbey Weitzeil (Saugus, Calif./California Aquatics) and Lia Neal (Brooklyn, N.Y./Stanford Swimming) share the third fastest time of the morning after each posted a 25.00.
Men’s 50m Freestyle
- Caeleb Dressel (Green Cove Springs, Fla./Bolles School Sharks) posted the fastest prelims swim with a 21.75. Dressel has won national titles in the 50m and 100m fly this week, along with a runner-up finish in the 100m free.
- Cullen Jones (Irvington, N.J./Wolfpack Elite) picked up the second seed with a 22.08.
- Nathan Adrian (Bremerton, Wash./California Aquatics) rounds out the top-three swimmers from this morning after clocking a 22.19. Adrian has won six national titles in this event, he also won the 100m free title this week.